Sunday, January 21, 2007

Marshmallow Gun Montage



**The author of this post is Nick, and not Robyn**

I can't take credit for the title of this post. Shellie brilliantly coined the phrase while sending me these pictures. I am a little disturbed by these seemingly harmless toys. If we are supplying our children with these sugary confection propellants at age four, then what values are we reinforcing? And just exactly what are the li'l Nathan's next descending steps into the dark abyss?



Age 6 - potato launcher
Age 8 - BB gun
Age 12 - .22 rifle (after competing firearm safety training, of course)
Age 14 - 30-30 rifle
Age 15 - The severed, stuffed head of Bambi's father mounted on Cam & Robyn's living room wall!
Age 16 - Card carrying member of the NRA!
Age 17 - Seen milling aimlessly wearing camouflage at the AZ fair grounds! (aka the Veterans Memorial Coliseum and The Madhouse on McDowell)!


What disturbs me even are the examples set by his parents and least favourite uncle (big Nathan). They cavalierly brandished the guns on Christmas morning and did not exercise any restraint in shooting unsuspecting onlookers. I myself was struck in the face - the cheek, which I calmly turned as to expose the other, if they desired it for a target! I suggest we "Change the Play", as recommended by Pope Benedict XVI. If we don't, then we shall reap what we sow! Watch out for that first step, it's a slippery slope!

10 comments:

robyn said...

I am as much against weaponry as the next (if not more so) but there is truth the saying that boy will make guns out of anything whether they have seen one or not. I have now whitnessed that. Also, if my sons ever have to defend our country, I would like them to be able to do so with a gun.

robyn said...

If we are ever invaded by marshmallow men, our boys will come to the rescue.

robyn said...

so says Cameron

Aubrey said...

Because the first picture was of li'l Nathan, I assumed this post was put up by Robyn. At Age 15 I realized the error of my assumption.

Any talk of the marshmallow guns always makes me lament missing Nate running into the glass door.

Carlos said...

I think I got hit with a wet and used marshmallow that day. I am having a hard time getting interested in them--or at least having people shoot at me.

Cameron said...

Nathan running into the glass door has to have been one of the funniest things I have ever seen. You truly have cause to lament.

The Parkers said...

Where can I get my hands on one of these marshmallow guns? I need a way to encourage faster church getting-ready-for but I've found that paintballs put a little too much strain on the family bonds.

robyn said...

It was actually posted by Nick as it states at the bottom of the post

Aubrey said...

I actually probably figured it out by Age 12, but by Age 15 I was sure.

Anonymous said...

You know, after looking at my forecast age progression for li'l Nathan, I realized that my own gun history closely aligned with those milestones.

The exception would be aimlessly milling around gun shows wearing camouflage. I aimlessly milled around baseball card stores wearing Cactus high football shirts.

BTB, what's the deal with Cam's "scary eyes"?