
I was touched by the Ding-Dong story referred to in Aubrey's blog and my mind wandered back to the 1950's when Grandpa had an entire barrell of these
awful little morsels in his store. I tried to like these things but they are about as nasty as a candy as ever crossed the Little Colorado River and into our town. The memory still haunts me. Years later, we took the kids to SLC and took a tour of Brigham Young's home and they offered horehound drops to the tourists as a "treat from the past." I put on my game face and slipped one into my mouth. The taste had not improved in over 40 years. I ran outside and spit it into a place where about a hundred tourists had just spit theirs. NOBODY likes them. Why make them? It seems to be a good waste of stuff if they still produced. They would, however, be good as "trick candy". Hey, it worked on me. By the way, we still have the barrell!
5 comments:
That was the barrell? That is crazy! Good story...I never knew that. Please don't say it was made up at this point.
That Barrel has held many a baseball glove and bat.
Didn't colman go over a waterfall in that barrel?
I am right there with you on these candies, but, that is the American dream. Take petrified deer turds, package them up, maybe even throw them in a barrell for good measure and hawk them out of every market place you can.
If people won't accept them as candy, then tout the medicinal use and market them as cough drops. As far as the pioneers were concerned, can you imagine how tough life was back then for them to like those things?
That really does put it in perspective. BTB, I feel the same about black licorice.
Post a Comment