Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day Secrets

So I decided that it would be fun to take Nathan (not big nathan) along with me to go and get Robyn a Valentine... Tuesday morning, I asked Nathan to come with me to get her gift. We set out for See's Candies in downtown Scottsdale, and I explained that we were going to the "chocolate store" to get her a box of chocolates. Nathan was great, even though the store was both packed and understaffed, undermining my hopes of getting in and out quickly. We ultimately selected the perfect heart-shaped box of chocolates for Robyn, ate some free samples, and even bought a bag of chocolate gold coins (treasure) that Nathan had spent the entire time in the store hiding and finding in the hood of his rain jacket.

On the way home, I emphasized how important it would be to keep the gift a secret because we would not give her the chocolates until the morning of Valentine's Day. Nathan agreed and promised not to tell mom about the present. Here is the discussion that took place later that afternoon:

Robyn (to the boys): Let's all go to the store and get Daddy a Valentine's Day Gift!

Nathan: Are we going to the chocolate store?

10 comments:

Aubrey said...

I don't know what they ended up getting you, but it would've been tough to beat Robyn's gift. It was definitely a good choice.

BTB, Robyn - are you waiting for one of us to fill in 18, 22 & 31 and post your 100 things? I admit I already read your list and I laughed out loud at least 6 times.

Courtney said...

I read it too...just publish it...it's a good list!

The Dixon Family said...

This is the funniest story ever. My mom and I are sitting here laughing out loud. Classic.

Carlos said...

Note to file: code word for chocolate is "beans". That would have thrown her for a loop.

robyn said...

The chocolate was a great gift. I even found a new favorite. Reading the story made my feel like I was reading one of the family circus cartoons.

AND, I didnt know you could read other peoples drafts. I feel like some one has read my diary with out asking! I just wanted to see if I had 100 things to say and apparently I and 3 short.

Carlos said...

Being three short is better than being too short. Here are the final three and a few more for extra measure.

1. I love a good, meaty steak or hunk of ribs.

2. If the family is going to the beach, I am there.

3. When I am very, very tired, I say funny, funny things.

4. If I tried the gymnastic stuff I used to do in high school, I might break my neck.

5. Of all the Carter daughters, I am the most (fill in the blank)

6. My best dessert is (another fill in the blank)

7. I make really good rolls.

8. I tried to make wheat thins and they were not as good as the real wheat thins.

9. I like wheat thins better than triscut crackers.

10. Cheese is good.

Aubrey said...

I whole heartedly agree with #3. Quite entertaining.

Courtney said...

What I want to know is why the three you were short are not at the end of the 100, but are spersed throughout.

Aubrey said...

I'm going to start using spersed instead of interspersed. It's much shorter, and makes more sense if you think about it.

Courtney said...

I knew I shouldn't have been watching Grey's Anatomy and talking to Mom while typing this...