Friday, November 17, 2006

New paper shredder, anyone?

Some of you may recognize this paper shredder from last night's episode of The Office. It received several product endorsements, and one scene even awkwardly worked in the Staples name. I didn't mind because it's funny to shred lettuce and then pour salad dressing into a paper shredder.

Then, of course, this little number was also advertised in the commercial breaks. At this point, if you didn't see the show you're probably assuming it was a parody, like on Wayne's World. Not so.

You hit us over the head with this shredder, NBC. And it worked. I want one. Col wants one. And even now, as we speak... Brooke is at Staples buying one.

8 comments:

Cameron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cameron said...

Wow, that is like a case study in marketing. Maybe you guys will make it into a textbook blurb illustrating how there is some small number of people that will fall for overt, non-subtle product placement advertising, no matter how obvious it is.

Disclaimer: I did not see the episode, so until I do, I can claim to be immune to such advertising tricks.

Carlos said...

Noooooooooo! (man running into Staples in s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n.)

The Dixon Family said...

"Hey, where'd you get that salad?"

"Staples."

GENIUS.

And, yes, I totally enjoyed the episode last night. My heard goes out to Pam . . .

Courtney said...

I liked it all except for the Pam/Jim thing. It depresses me.

Tiffany said...

Yes Courtney, but what happened when Sam and Diane finally got together? The show always ends after the couple gets together! The suspense keeps you watching.

Tatum said...

David said the same thing, and I don't like it. I wish they would get together and get married and live happily ever after... If she gets back with her old boyfriend, who totally wants her back, then I will be really sad.

Aubrey said...

She won't get back with him. I think there's going to be something between her and Toby. Just to keep everyone guessing.